F-6 RoubaixSouth Dakota Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp 16 mi SE of Deadwood
1933, 06/03 - 1935, Spr, 792
1935, Spr-Fall, 2759V
1935, Fall, 792
Closed: 1941, 09/15
Camp F-6 (Roubaix) was located 15 miles south of Deadwood, on the west side of U.S. Highway 385 (1934).
It straddled a ravine in the NE 1/4 of SW 1/4 of section 20, T 3N, R 4E that drained into Middle Box Elder Creek from the north. At this writing (1986) the chimney for the officers' quarters is visible from the highway several hundred yards north of the road to Lake Roubaix.
The original buildings included the mess hall, hospital, bath house, recreation hall, administration building, supply building, forestry and army garages, laundry, and pump (1934). In 1934 a new hospital and officers' quarters were built; the hospital was remodeled for use as an administration building; and part of the administration building was transformed into a barracks (1935).
The camp was established June 3, and closed September 15, 1941.x
xDerschied, Lyle A. "The Civilian Conservation Corps in South Dakota, 1933-1942." Brookings, SD, South Dakota State University Foundation Press, 1986. No longer in print. Available at some libraries but may not be checked-out.
photo courtesy Charles Kewley
|Lat / Lon always verify yourself|
|GPS always verify yourself|
|44° 11' 59.262" N||103° 39' 38.815" W|
Maps are still being verified. Wherever signs and/or locations can include street view, those coordinates are used. This allows for a better understanding of the location and terrain.
|This Map Large (if available)|
This Map Large (If Available)
Mapping is based on best available information. New or changed addresses may not be availble. Use the map for general location. For exact directions always verify for yourself.
All Text and Photos are Copyright Protected by International Law. All Logos and Trademarks mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.