F-15 TigervilleSouth Dakota Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp Camp Tigerville was located approximately 8 miles NW from Hill City, SD on Deerfield Road.
1933, 10/27 - 1934, 04/21, 765*
1934, 04/21 - 1934, 10/21, 757**
1934, 10/21 - 1936, 05/25, 2748
1936, 05/25 - 1942, 793xx
Closed: 1942, 07/28
Camp Tigerville was located approximately 8 miles NW from Hill City, SD on Deerfield Road. A sign erected in 1991 indicated that the campsite was 1/4 mile south of what is now Deerfield Road (2015).
Company 765 was originally organized as 1795 in North Dakota on May 29, 1933. In June the company was reorganized and given the number 765.
On the morning of October 26 the company left Minot on a train consisting of two baggage cars, one kitchen car, and eight coaches. The route was from Minot to Oakes on the Milwaukee, to Rapid City on the North Western, to Redfern on the R.C.B.H. & W., and to Smith's Spur on the Burlington. By mid-afternoon all the gear had been transported to Camp Tigerville (1934).x
The company enjoyed the Hills while it could. Deer roamed the woods, and it was a lucky man who got a good look at one. A bobcat, trapped by a nearby rancher, was brought into camp. Some of the other wild game found in the woods were grouse, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, porcupines, and partridge (1934).x
xDerschied, Lyle A. "The Civilian Conservation Corps in South Dakota, 1933-1942." Brookings, SD, South Dakota State University Foundation Press, 1986. No longer in print. Available at some libraries but may not be checked-out.
|Lat / Lon always verify yourself|
|GPS always verify yourself|
|43° 59' 32.814" N||103° 41' 32.360" W|